Sunday, January 1, 2012

To count, or not to count. *That* is the question ...

Last year about this time, I sat contemplating whether or not I was going to set New Years Resolutions. What I ended up with was my 20-11 List: twenty things I wanted more of, and eleven things I wanted less of. A smart list, if I say it myself, and reviewing it throughout the year, one that helped me keep the important things important. 


-->--<-->--<-->--<--
I suppose I've always smelled faintly of chlorine. I learned to swim when I was four, and joined the swim team at seven. I swam competitively for 10 years, retiring from racing after high school. And I've managed to stay in the pool since. 


The difference between my workouts then and now is counting. When you're prepping for the next meet, yardage is important. When you're following the black line on the bottom of the pool to just stay in shape, yardage isn't as important as whether or not you're hitting your training heart rate. Some days I count laps, some days I don't. I find I'm more motivated, and feel better about my workout, on the days I count. There's a greater sense of accomplishment when I *know* I've put in a mile, instead of guesstimating I have done. Apparently, Coach, that training is a hard habit to break!


It dawned on me a couple days before Christmas that my morning workout is a good analogy for the rest of my life. I'm more motivated, and pay better attention when I'm counting. And I definitely don't pay as much attention to the stuff I don't count. 
-->--<-->--<-->--<--


So here's my 2012 List: Things to count. And not to count.


Count
Expressing gratitude
-       Acknowledging, in the moment, when someone does something I appreciate
-       Saying “please” and “thank you”
Precious face-time with my family and friends
-       Family dinners
-       Inside jokes
-       Crazy capers from which legend is borne
-       Puppy kisses
-       See also “celebrations,” “laughter, “gratitude”
Snail mail
-       Sent … being tangible with family and friends across the miles
-       Received … that isn’t a solicitation or a bill!
Healthy habits
-       Calories burned
-       Miles swum
-       Walks with friends
-       Walks with the 4-leggeds
-       See also “laughter”
-       Mental health breaks: see also “moto,” “face-time”
Accomplishment
-       Finished projects
-       Good books
-       Permission to abandon old stuff
Celebrations
-       High fives
-       Happy dances
-       See also “face-time”
Laughter
-       Giggles
-       Chortles
-       Guffaws
-       Snorts!
Moto rides!!!
-       Camping trips
-       Wandering to nowhere particular
-       See also “healthy habits”
Photo ops
-       Sunrises, sunsets
-       Ocean, mountains, rivers, valleys
-       Dogs, cats, kids, cows
-       Face-time with friends
-       Celebrations, accomplishment
-       Moments that memories are made of (and legend, too)


Not Count
The number of times it is “my turn” to talk
When a friend has the floor … be still, and listen between the words (it’s what I hope they’d do for me)
When I don’t get my own way
In 5 years, will it really be important anyway?
Being right
Quarreling takes too much energy, and there never are any real winners
Minor personal inconvenience
Especially if it’s while being of service to someone
Unanticipated change in plans
Often, the best adventures are unplanned. Definitely don’t count if it’s family/friends changing it up.
How often I’m sent “up over” or “down under”
Being the young bendy one in the family means I’m climbing the ladder or crawling under the house to do…something I’d probably rather not. But, it’s precious time and relationship maintenance with my old people I wouldn’t trade for anything. Count under “face-time” and “accomplishment.”
Rainy days
It’s Oregon after all. It rains here. But it means fabulous green stuff and gorgeous blooming things.

* In no particular order
** Subject to change as I think of things to add

No comments:

Post a Comment